Alice Smith School is the oldest not-for-profit British international school in Malaysia. The school has a long history of excellence in providing students with the skills to succeed in their future goals.
76 years of excellence
The school was founded by Alice Fairfield-Smith, a Harvard biology graduate and teacher, in 1946. As the first British international school in Malaysia, the school provided high-quality education to expatriate families living in Kuala Lumpur.
In the decades that followed Alice Fairfield Smith’s departure, Alice Smith School has gone from strength to strength. Over the last seven decades, it has gained a proven track record of providing an outstanding education for students aged 3-18 years old, preparing them for university and beyond.
Innovative right from the beginning
Alice Smith School has a passion for innovation at its core, which is evident when walking around their modern, vibrant campuses and state-of-the-art classrooms. The school’s campuses have grown exponentially, with millions of pounds invested into the facilities that both staff and students benefit from.
That innovation can also be seen in their British-based curriculum, which helps replicate the same success as the English National Curriculum, but in an internationally diverse setting. These vast enhancements demonstrate their aspirations and ambitions of quality and excellence as a regional and world leader for education.
Even the school’s song highlights their drive for innovation: “We are the makers, builders and shapers, the future is waiting to appear.”
Award-winning campuses and curriculum
Alice Smith School was one of the first in Asia to be fully accredited as a BSO (British School Overseas) by the Department for Education in London. The school has many accolades and awards, including:
- Awarded a full membership to COBIS (Council of British International Schools) after a 2014 BSO report judged both campuses ‘excellent’.
- The Jubilee Centre was awarded GOLD at the Malaysian Architecture Malaysia (PAM) Awards after its opening in 2016.
- The school won in the Pastoral Initiative category at the International School Awards in 2019 for its Year 6 leadership opportunities initiative which empowers students to help transform play times.
- In 2019 the school received a COBIS accreditation through The Patron’s Accreditation and Compliance and was said to be “an innovative role model and leader for promoting high quality,
- Finalist in the Independent School Parent magazine’s Independent Schools of the Year 2021 for an award in the British International School category.
Invested in providing high-quality education and benefitting the community
As a not-for-profit institution, all of Alice Smith School’s financial resources are invested straight into the school, where students and staff benefit the most. To support the wider community, The Alice Smith School Foundation was launched in November 2018.
- Our community
- Scholarships and Bursaries
- Special Educational Projects
- Buildings & Facilities
The Alice Smith School is also a founding member of FOBISIA (The Federation of British International Schools in Asia).